Our Save the Children store in Hobart is currently in need of volunteers to work as retail assistants. Funds raised through the sale of donated goods at our stores are used to support programs for children locally, nationally and internationally. Such programs centre on education, health and child protection. Our shops are the public face of Save the Children and help send out a positive message about our work.
We are looking for vibrant and enthusiastic volunteers to join our team to assist with the day-to-day running of the store over a five-day roster. Volunteers are responsible for sorting and selling pre-loved clothing, accessories, bric-a-brac etc.
158 Murray Street
Morning, afternoon or full-day shifts are available.
As a volunteer Retail Assistant, you will:
- provide exceptional customer service
- accept donations brought to the shop
- clean and maintain tidy shop display areas and merchandise
- restock merchandise as required
- participate in relevant training and meetings
- be able to commit to at least one four-hour shift weekly
Essential skills and/or experience
We’re looking for someone who:
- is punctual, reliable and honest
- is able to work as a member of a team and without constant direction
- has good interpersonal and communication skills
- has knowledge of basic arithmetic and/or cash handling skills
Ideally, you will have:
- previous experience in retail or customer service environments
- cash handling experience
We want our op shops to be known as a great place to work, as well as a welcoming place to shop! That’s why we work hard to make sure our stores are warm, rewarding and a fun place to be for our volunteers.
By volunteering at a Save the Children op shop, you can:
- help us to support the local community
- come in to a happy, positive and vibrant place with like-minded people
- learn new skills while using your existing ones
- find out more about the issues affecting vulnerable communities both in Australia and overseas
- Induction (essential)
- Orientation (essential)
- Training (as required)
Volunteer applicants will be required to:
- Give permission for Save the Children to undertake a National Police Record Check and provide 100 points of identification
- Read and accept the Save the Children Code of Conduct and Child Protection Policy