Learn about our aid response to the Nepal Earthquake
Volunteer Family Connect is a home-based early intervention support service that brings together the best evidence and practice knowledge about the benefits of volunteer home visiting to support the wellbeing of parents, children and volunteers.
What is Volunteer Family Connect?
Volunteer Family Connect works by linking trained volunteers with a newly referred parent who has been identified as needing extra support to raise their children.
The volunteer works in partnership with the family for 1-2 hours per week to offer friendly support and encouragement in a non-threatening, non-directive, non-judgemental manner.
Volunteers are usually local people in the community who want to extend support and friendship to others. Volunteers are supervised, trained and supported by their Program Coordinator.
Who may need this service?
Families referred to the service may:
- Not have family or friends nearby for support;
- Be managing a disability or chronic illness (child or parent);
- Have had a multiple birth or several young children;
- Find parenting stressful;
- Be adjusting to a relationship breakdown;
- Come from a non-English speaking background.
The benefit for families:
- Encourage/develop positive parent and child relationships;
- Reduce isolation, stress and anxiety;
- Get out and about;
- Connect to a network of parent and community supports;
- Have access to information and support;
- Feel supported as a parent;
- New ideas for playing with your children;
- Build resilience and increased parental capacity;
- Gain support and assistance adjusting to parenting roles.
The benefit for volunteers:
- Develop and learn new skills and share those skills;
- Undertake long-term meaningful participation in their community;
- Promote self-efficacy, health and well-being;
- Enjoy giving their time in helping others;
- Meeting new people.
Here is our Facebook page
For more information, please contact: Hannah Francis (Program Coordinator) - M: - 0488 218 809, E: email@example.com