Our future, and more importantly the future of our children is and will increasingly be impacted by the effects of climate change. By educating children on climate change and enabling them to actively participate, plan and adapt to these impacts, we are allowing them to form their future. Below, find out how we are addressing climate change and disaster risk reduction through our climate change adaptation program that focuses on giving children a voice when it comes to climate change.
Save The Children has been championing children’s rights for over 100 years. We believe every child should attain the right to survival, protection, development and participation. We support this vision through our humanitarian crisis emergency responses for children & their families and programs that focus on giving children the best start in life helping them to reach their full potential. Here is the work we are doing in regards to disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation.
Ways We Are Addressing Disaster Risk Reduction And Climate Change Adaptation
Through education, collaboration and action we can help children and their communities combat and become more resilient to the effects of climate change. Armed with knowledge, communities - especially those in disaster-prone areas like the Asia-pacific region can implement disaster risk reduction initiatives - preparing for future disasters and enabling more effective adaption as changes happen.
Because our programs focus on giving children a solid foundation for their future, wherever possible we integrate disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation into the programs. The effects of climate change will directly impact the future of the world’s children, ultimately affecting the outcomes of our programs.
Other ways we address disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation include:
- Working closely with governments and local government officials in the Asia-Pacific region to strengthen their understanding of climate change
- Provide support for projects addressing climate change adaption in communities and helping to strengthen school safety policies & procedures during a disaster
- Partnering with academics and the private sector across the globe to build an evidence base that underpins school safety programming
- Educating children & their communities about anticipating, planning and adapting to climate change
- Supporting communities in designing climate change adaptation solutions and sharing these solutions so the wider community and region can benefit from the knowledge gained
- Running child-centred climate change adaptation programs that encourage children to be involved in adaptation initiatives (more about this program below)
About Our Climate Change Adaptation Programs
We believe it is important for children to have a voice and actively participate in the decision-making processes around disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation. In the Philippines, we are supporting children in running their radio show on climate change.
Our climate change adaptation program in Bangladesh focuses on how children are impacted by climate change and encourage children to be involved in climate change adaptation solutions. Giving young people a voice and listening to the specific needs they have identified regarding climate change can be extremely valuable.
It provides a platform for us to work together to create adaptation measures that truly consider their needs. The climate change adaptation programs build awareness, enable participation and work towards creating real generational change.
Support Our Climate Change Adaptation Program Today
To support the work we are doing that gives children a voice when it comes to climate change you can make a single donation today or become a monthly giver.