Volunteering with children is a positive way to help disadvantaged children in Australia and overseas. With the 2016 Australian Census revealing that 3.6 million Australians are actively engaged in voluntary work*, you may be wondering the best way to volunteer with children near me.
With so many children’s charities volunteer opportunities available, it’s important that the charity you volunteer with one that’s accountable and provides short and long term benefits for the community.
For over 100 years, Save the Children Australia has been protecting children from abuse, neglect, disease, hunger, war and conflict. Volunteering with children helps us reach our 3 major goals for children in Australia and overseas:
- That no child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday. We are dedicated to ensuring all children survive and thrive.
- That every child gets access to basic, good quality education that will set them up for life.
- That no child feels threatened with violence, abuse, neglect, war, conflict, disease, hunger or exploitation.
Benefits Of Volunteering With Children
According to the University of Sydney
, volunteering with children’s charities like Save the Children has benefits including:
- Providing a sense of purpose and meaning to life
- Improving overall mood, mental and physical health
- Feeling like you’ve got a sense of belonging
In 2019 the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare*
found that “volunteers bring substantial benefits to their communities. Volunteering also broadens the networks and professional skills of the volunteers”. Read stories from our volunteers.
Volunteer Opportunities Working With Children
Our team of dedicated volunteers are people aged from 18 to 85 years old with different backgrounds and life experiences. The wide range of volunteer opportunities include:
- Retail volunteers – shop assistants in Save the Children stores
- Community volunteers – to provide support to parents and carers in safe spaces
- Youth volunteers – join mentorship programs to empower youth
Want to volunteer but don’t have the time? A regular monthly donation is a powerful way to start changing lives. Your monthly support helps us ensure no child, alone, at home or overseas fears for their life.
Explore our volunteer opportunities.